Saturday. The List.
I love Saturday. :) Here’s my list.
1. I cleaned. Not very much, but some. Enough that I feel it should make the list, because any cleaning is good cleaning, right?
2. I worked. This is no surprise. I work a lot.See my unwritten entry on balance in my life (unwritten because I suck at this and therefore haven’t taken the time to write it).
3. I resolved to call my dr. on Monday and get help. Thinking I need to try out some antidepressant/anti-anxiety medication. Wish me luck with that, ok? I’m a little bit scared. But glad I have honest people in my life who tell me their own stories, and then love me enough to look me in the eye and tell me what I need to hear. That makes me brave.
4. I made homemade split pea soup. It was really, really good. Storebought rolls, but homemade soup. MMMM. The recipe.
Pressure Cooker Split Pea Soup
5 slices bacon, chopped (I actually substitute bacon for 2 slices of ham steak or ham cut into 1/4 by 1/4 inch cubes, and then I add about 1 T. of oil to the ham when I’m cooking the onions at the beginning of the recipe)
1 large onion, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
1 potato, peeled and finely chopped
1 cup green split peas, rinsed
2 1/2 cups vegetable or chicken stock
1 clove garlic, minced
1 bay leaf
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
In a 5-quart or larger pressure cooker, heat bacon (or ham) over medium high heat. After bacon has released some of its fat (or add the oil if it’s ham), stir in onion. Cook until onion is transparent. Add carrots, potato, split peas and stock. Stir to mix. Add garlic, bay leaf, salt and pepper. Stir to mix. Set pressure cooker to 15 lbs of pressure OR High pressure. Cook for 15-17 minutes. Release steam. Serve with hot rolls or bread and butter.
My kids LOVE this soup. Yay for split peas! :D
5. I came across two wonderful Valentine’s related projects for us all to try :D.
Ali’s is an awesome mini-album with a felt cover. Perfect to say a little I Love You to your someone special who decided to put up with you all these years, and maybe forever if it all goes ok.
Candice has an awesome idea for turning a 4x6 print into a Valentine for yourself or for your kids to take to school. My favorite quote of the entire day? From Candice:
Why is it only at Christmas that we update people on our lives? Particularly with photographs? And on a separate note why do we turn to superhero’s and cartoon Princesses to inform those around us that we love them?
Amen, sista. Amen.
6. Pure geekiness. Jared bought us a new file server a couple of weeks ago, and has been transferring hundreds of GB of data onto the raid hard drives. He installed Linux on one of the dual-core processors, and Windows onto the other, so we could run an iTunes server. A quick switcheroo when you launch iTunes and suddenly my iTunes library not only has ALL our music (which Jared ripped a couple years back), but we share the library, so it instantly updates for both of us with new downloads. This project took him two weeks, another new hard drive (to hold the Windows OS), a network bridge, very fancy coding, and a LOT of patience. And he was completely happy and in his element. And hearing all my old loved songs is so awesome. Love my geek. :D
7. I received my actual, real, bound copy of this book in the mail yesterday:
Yahooo!! I can’t wait for this to go out (should be the next couple of weeks). There’s an entire photo editing section in the first chapter. I did this, because I’m ALWAYS getting questions about how to edit photos. There’s also a complete digital kit AND the templates for 7 complete albums. And another little YAHOOOOO! :D
Have a wonderful night. Got a list to share with me?